HCV/Section 8 Programs
HCV/Section 8 Programs

We have made some changes to our office hours.  We by appointment only.   You may request an appointment by emailing  or calling (919)736-2785 or (919)735.4226 x 1119.


If you need to make a change to your information, you may go online to and download the necessary form(s).  You can then email the form(s) to, place it in the drop box located at 1729 Edgerton Street, or mail it to:


The Housing Authority of the City of Goldsboro

Section 8 Department

PO Box 1403

Goldsboro NC  27533


If you are interested in moving to a new location, please make an appointment with the Section 8 Department.


After you have submitted your information to the Section 8 Department, the staff will process it as soon as possible.  If additional information is required, they will contact you.



The Goldsboro Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher Program, also know as Section 8, is a HUD funded program that provides rental assistance to low-income families in Wayne County. This assistance is to help families obtain decent, safe, and sanitary housing that they would not otherwise be able to afford. Participants are free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program and agrees to abide by the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract. The amount of rental assistance paid is determined by several factors including the family’s income, the amount of rent the owner is requesting, the utilities the family is responsible for paying, the voucher size the family is issued. A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by Goldsboro Housing Authority on the behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.


A Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holder may take the voucher anywhere in the United States where a Public Housing Authority administers a tenant-based voucher program. This process is called portability.

 New Voucher holders who were not living in Goldsboro Housing Authority’s jurisdiction at the time the family applied for housing assistance must initially lease within our jurisdiction for the first 12 months of assistance.

 In order to move, you must do so either at the time a voucher is initially issued or at the end of your lease with proper 30-day notice to your current landlord and notify your current Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Office that you wish to move to another jurisdiction.

If you have a Housing Choice Voucher and would like to move to Goldsboro, your first step is to inform your current Housing Authority that you would like to relocate to our jurisdiction.