The Modernization, Renovation or Demolition of any Development will be funded by Capital Funds or other sources to be determined.

All relocating residents are protected by the Uniform Relocation Assistance (URA) Act, which provides for specific rights and responsibilities as described within this handbook. Relocating residents will be relocated and moved by a Moving Company Contracted and paid for by the GHA. Residents are entitled to a reimbursement of all actual transfer fees for telephone, electricity and cable TV, as well as a payment for incidental expenses in the amount of$100.00.

Each resident shall be given sufficient notice of relocation and unit assignments. There may be certain circumstances where, due to unit size, family composition or medical needs, a family may need to relocate to units that meet their needs. These and other situations will be addressed in the counseling sessions the families will be asked to attend.

Once the relocation needs of each affected resident have been identified, the following forms must be completed and reviewed by the Capital Fund Department and the affected resident:

Notice of Intent to Transfer (Exhibit A): This notice is completed by the Housing Manager and copied to the Capital Fund Department.

Relocation Needs Checklist (Exhibit B): This checklist is to be completed by the Relocation Administrative Assistant and the Resident. Copies shall be sent to the Housing Manager.

Recordkeeping/Certification (Exhibit C): This form shall be completed by the Relocation Administrative Assistant and retained in the Resident's File. As moving expense reimbursements and payments are received by the resident, he/she shall sign off on this form, certifying receipt. Relocation Administrative Assistant shall forward copy to Housing Manager.

Relocation Agreement (Exhibit D): This agreement shall be completed and signed by the Relocation Administrative Assistant and the Resident. A copy shall be sent to the Housing Manager.

Notice to Move (Exhibit E): This letter shall be completed by the Relocation Administrative Assistant and delivered to the Resident, with copies sent to the Housing Manager. This letter stipulates the terms of the move, and confirms the moving date and time. The Resident is to sign and date this letter to be kept in the Resident's file and a copy forwarded to the Housing Manager.

Based on criteria established in the Relocation Guidelines, the GHA has elected to perform the actual moves utilizing professional moving contractors on a contract basis. This information will be obtained from the Capital Fund Department of the GHA.

The Professional moving contractor shall be able to respond to a request for service within a timely manner and shall coordinate scheduling all moves with the Capital Fund Department, the resident, and the Housing Manager. The Capital Fund Department will settle all damage claims with the Moving Company.


In accordance with the Relocation Guidelines, the GHA shall pay to have telephone, electricity and cable services transferred for all families affected by the relocation of the residents of the affected Development. This service will be provided for the families if they subscribed to the service at the time of their move.

Upon receipt of the Notice to Move, the relocating resident shall be responsible for contacting the telephone, electricity and cable service providers and arranging for the transfer of service to their new address. The resident will be responsible for submitting the telephone, electricity and cable bills to the Housing Manager for reimbursement. The bills submitted shall show clearly the cost of transfer of the service affected.


The Contracted Moving Company shall issue an appropriate number of moving boxes and packing tape to the relocating resident after issuance of the Notice to Move. The Contracted Moving Company will be responsible for packing residents items. Residents may elect to pack some items themselves.

Temporary Relocation
(Relocations which are temporary in nature, not permanent moves)

A person or family displaced by governmental action or a person whose unit has been extensively damaged by fire, wind, flood, etc. or destroyed as a result of a disaster declared or otherwise formally recognized pursuant to the Federal Disaster Relief Laws shall receive temporary relocation. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO TENANT CAUSED FIRES OR FLOOD DAMAGES, WHICH MAY BE HANDLED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE GHA

Priority in Assignment

Families being transferred as a result of extensive damage (i.e. fire, wind, water, etc.) will receive priority over all other transfers and new move-ins as stated in the GHA Admissions Policy.

Assistance in Moving Cost

Whenever a resident has to be relocated temporarily, as defined in the above paragraphs, the GHA at its discretion; may contract with a moving company, use its employees to move the resident or reimburse the resident for all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred. The GHA shall provide temporary housing which is suitable, decent, safe, and sanitary at the same cost on a nondiscriminatory basis for a person who is moved temporarily from the development/site and is offered the opportunity to return to the same development/site, although not necessarily the same building/unit.

Incidental Costs

Incidental costs shall include utility deposits if required at the temporary housing location and reimbursements of transfer fees for telephone, electric and cable T.V. if the person previously had telephone, electric, and cable TV service at his/her old location.

Cost of Temporary Housing

When it is necessary to temporarily house persons in units other than public housing, rents paid by the GHA shall not exceed Fair Market Rents. When a decent, safe, and sanitary public housing unit of suitable size and location becomes available, the person must agree to move into the unit or assistance shall terminate.



1. General lnfonnation Notices are delivered to all residents of the affected Development asking them to attend an initial meeting to discuss the relocation process and to let them know about the work that will be going on in their development.

2. The Housing Managers and Housing Supervisor will interview the resident and inspect the apartment.

3. Capital Funds Department issues a Notice to each affected resident, informing them of the upcoming move and setting a date and time for an individual relocation counseling session with the Relocation Administrative Assistant.

4. All required paperwork is completed and signed by Housing Manager, Relocation Administrative Assistant and Resident during relocation counseling session and a tentative move date is set. The Housing Manager and Housing Supervisor shall make any recommendations to the Capital Funds Department.

5. Information on all residents affected concerning family size, family preference and relocation preference is given to the Occupancy Department and resident is then placed on the waiting list for transfer.

6. Occupancy Department contacts Capital Fund Department when there is an apartment available. The Capital Fund Department contacts the resident letting them know where the apartment is located and allow them to look at the apartment being offered. After two offers of comparable and suitable replacement dwelling, the resident's lease may be terminated.

7. Once the resident accepts the apartment, the Capital Fund Department contacts each relocating resident to finalize move date; schedules move with moving company.
a. Schedules date/time with mover (within 3 business days from date of contact)
b. Notifies Purchasing Department for Purchase Order to Moving Company
c. Faxes Purchase Order to Moving Company
d. Prepares and delivers Notice to Move (NTM) letter
e. Submit copies of NTM to Maintenance, Occupancy Department and Management.
f. Prepares Relocation Needs Checklist
g. Prepares Relocation Agreement
h. Prepare and deliver Relocation Checklist

8. If rehabilitation or renovation is being done, Capital Fund Department schedules final inspection with Maintenance and Management when units are completed.

9. Renovated units are inspected by Capital Fund Department and Maintenance Department and inspection checklist is signed off on by all parties, indicating that the unit is suitable for re-occupancy.

10. Capital Fund Department returns units to Maintenance, Maintenance returns units to Occupancy Department for relocation or other uses. Occupancy Department notifies Relocation Administrative Assistant.

11. Resident signs NTM, certifying that they have received notification of their move date.

12. Relocation Administrative Assistant sends a reminder notice to the resident to ensure completion of move by the deadline date.

13. Moving Company transfers resident from original unit to replacement unit.

14. Resident and Moving Company jointly inspect personal belongings for damages in the replacement unit.

15. Moving Company agree to settle any claims for damages with the GHA, resident signs release form.

16. Resident releases keys of original unit to previous Housing Manager within 3 days after the move.

17. Resident submits utility transfer charges to Housing Manager, who in turn informs resident that the reimbursements will be paid within 30 days.

18. Housing Manager documents receipt of bills and submits to Relocation Administrative Assistant.

19. Relocation Administrative Assistant prepares Record Keeping Certification Form and submits check request to the Finance Department.

20. Finance Department requisitions funds/writes checks/submits check Relocation Administrative Assistant.

21. Relocation Administrative Assistant issues check to Resident and has Resident sign Recordkeeping/Certification form certifying that resident has been reimbursed for all moving expenses.

Any resident needing assistance during the relocation process due to physical or mental limitations shall be provided such assistance at the expense of the GHA.


Based on the Uniform Relocation Act, deposits are an ineligible item for reimbursement and the GHA may not be permitted to pay Utility Security Deposits for permanent moves. The GHA should work with the utility company to ensure that residents who are unable to pay the entire utility deposit up-front receive a payment plan from the utility company.


*Please contact Property Management for forms.